Allo' Expat The Gambia - Connecting Expats in The Gambia
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat The Gambia Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter
Check our Rates
   Information Center The Gambia
The Gambia General Information
The Gambia Expatriates Handbook
Useful Numbers
Immigration Information
  Entry Visa
Work Permit
The Gambia and Foreign Government
The Gambia General Listings
The Gambia Useful Tips
The Gambia Education & Medical
The Gambia Travel & Tourism Info
The Gambia Lifestyle & Leisure
The Gambia Business Matters
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

Immigration - Work Permit in The Gambia

In April 2007 the Panapress News Agency reported that a bill was introduced by Mousa Gibril Balla Gaye, Secretary of State for Finance and Economic Affairs, which amends the Pay Roll Tax Act. The effect would be that where a specialised professional employee was needed by a company or organisation, an employer shall not employ non-Gambians in excess of 20% of the organisation’s total staff strength.

In order to reside in The Gambia for working purposes, expatriates require an employment/residential permit for themselves and and an alien’s identity card for themselves and each of their dependants who are 18 years of age or more. The residential/employment permit and Aliens ID card needs to be renewed annually.

You must carry both your work/residency permit for Gambia and your Aliens ID Card in case you are asked for these by a member of the Immigration Department or the police.

There are 3 categories of residential permits and the application form for each one is D10:

Type A – this is for resident purpose only and issued to retired foreign citizens and international students; cost of the fee is D1,100;

Type B – this category is used for employment and it is D1,300 for citizens of ECOWAS nations; other foreign nationals who are working in Gambia in skilled employment and companies pay a fee of D1,800.

Type C – this residential permit is issued to skilled workers and small traders for a fee of D1,000.

Nationals coming from Mauritania, Republic of Guinea, Mali or Senegal are exempt from having to pay the residential permit.

All persons living in Gambia must have and carry their identity card at all times. The alien card is valid for one full year and its function is to identify foreign nationalities living in the country. To get the alien's ID card one must first submit their passport and own nation's ID card. Failing this he/she should get a sworn affidavit or a consular's card proving one's nationality.

There are two types:

ECOWAS citizen members – cost D1,000 plus D10 for application form;

non-ECOWAS nationalities – cost D1,500 plus D10 for the form.





copyrights ©
2015 | Policy